The Local Educational Affiliate Program (LEAP) is one way that Forward in the Fifth is supporting partnerships and new ideas in education across the region. Since 2011, eight counties have begun LEAPs to address their unique educational needs.
In each county, schools are working with several partners. Public schools, colleges, community groups, businesses, local government are participating. Each project is specific to meet the needs of the local education community. As a result, there are a wide variety of initiatives.
Examples of the projects included:
- Bath County– Leadership council for college/career readiness
- Breathitt County– Career night & college forum with parent engagement
- Clay County– Drop out prevention through a youth-led media campaign
- Floyd & Johnson Counties– Professional development to bridge the culture chasm of students living in poverty
- Letcher County– Dual credit courses combined with student mentoring
- Monroe County– Professional development and home visits for greater understanding of students living in poverty
- Pulaski County- Literacy promotion for Kindergarten and 1st grade
- Wayne County– Teen leadership for college/career readiness
Forward in the Fifth supports each affiliate through communication and resources. It is up to each LEAP to continue to seek additional resources to address new challenges. Each LEAP is encouraged to invite new partners for meeting those challenges.
Related news releases about first and second rounds of funding:
- Six southern and eastern KY counties receive education grants
- Forward in the Fifth and The Center announce newest local education affiliate program LEAP awardees
For more information about LEAP or a specific project, contact Forward in the Fifth.